First Congregational Church
531 Washington St
Michigan City, IN 46360
Alt. Phone: 219.778.9802
About First Congregational Church
First Congregational Church of Michigan City, located at the corner of 531 Washington and Sixth Street, invites the public to join in the celebration of the 100th year anniversary of the Roosevelt pipe organ here in Michigan City, Indiana.
The 1891 Roosevelt organ, opus No. 506 was built by the renowned firm of Hilborne and Frank Roosevelt for a church in Chicago. After the First Congregational Church burned in 1907, the Roosevelt organ was purchased used and shipped via steamer from Chicago to Michigan City. The organ has 3 manuals, 28 ranks and 1504 pipes. This instrument was completely restored in 1999 by the Rutz Organ Company of Minnesota. The Organ Historical Society has recognized this organ as a historically significant instrument, only one of five so honored in the state of Indiana.
The Historic First Congregational Church and the Roosevelt pipe organ are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church as you see it today dates from 1881, the outside brick and stone walls and the steeple. The interior and furnishings are from the 1908-1910 rebuilding. Note the Art Glass windows and the dual gas/electric light fixtures from the Gvstave A. Brand Company of Chicago and the pocket doors. The building is a tour in itself. Check the organ chamber and the large inoperative four foot diameter bellows flywheel, and the 1847 tower bell.